Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Staying Strong

Staying Strong
Sam Evans--13 years old
Staying strong is one of the most important actions you can take in your spiritual walk with God. There are many ways you can stay strong: understanding your Bible, keep a daily prayer journal, going to church, and having good reliable, Christian friends.
I know you have heard ever since you were little that you need to read your Bible everyday, but you also need to understand what you are reading. In Revelation 1:3 is says “Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near.” The word “heed” means to pay attention to or understand. This verse is praising the people who read and understand the Word.
One thing that I have done in the past is keep a prayer journal. I wrote down prayer requests for others as well as my self. One thing I found myself writing down many times is that I would be a light to others around me. Looking back on that journal now I realize that God has answered so many of my prayers and it has encouraged me even more. In Psalms 13:5 it says “I've thrown myself headlong into your arms— I'm celebrating your rescue. I'm singing at the top of my lungs, I'm so full of answered prayers.”
Going to church has been a huge impact on my everyday life. I find myself during the week looking forward to Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights. My youth ministers have a wonderful gift on expressing their love for God everywhere they go. They have been and still are great mentors in my life. You might have someone like that at your church. Maybe your preacher, worship leader, elder, children’s minister, ect. My whole church keeps me at a spiritual high and helps through my daily life.
Friends are the people that you will find that have the biggest influence on your life. Job 31:21 says "If I've ever used my strength and influence to take advantage of the unfortunate, Go ahead, break both my arms, cut off all my fingers! The fear of God has kept me from these things— how else could I ever face him?” It is important that your friend and you have a good influence on each other. Start accountability groups with each other, these groups helped me a lot during this past year at school. One famous saying was that friends will either make you or brake you. My youth minister, Mr. Al, always says “in your life you will do 1 of 2 things, you will either take someone with you to heaven or you will take someone with you to hell.”
I cannot stress to you how important it is to stay strong in your spiritual walk. There are many more ways you can stay strong. Deuteronomy 31:6 says “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."